Actress, author, activist and philanthropist Holly Robinson Peete will accept PBA’s 2010 PBA Beautiful Humanitarian Award at the 2010 North American Hairstyling Awards (NAHA) on Sunday, July 18, 2010 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The PBA Beautiful Humanitarian Award was established by PBA to honor a public figure who exemplifies beauty both on the inside and out. Robinson Peete, who co-founded the HollyRod Foundation in 1996 to help improve the quality of life of people plagued with devastating life circumstances, is an advocate for consistent and reliable education, outreach and support of families affected by autism and Parkinson’s disease.
The PBA Beautiful Humanitarian Award was established in 2009 to further promote the idea that beauty is not just skin deep. While the professional beauty industry aims to help people look and feel their best, the industry understands that looking and feeling great is only a portion of what it takes to achieve happiness. The PBA Beautiful Humanitarian Award will be bestowed on public figures who represent the essence of beauty in society, but who more importantly have a long-standing involvement and commitment to multiple charitable organizations. Holly Robinson Peete’s principal charitable involvements include:
* Co-founder and Board Member – The HollyRod Foundation/hollyrod.org: Improving the quality of life of people plagued with devastating life circumstances.
* Board Member – Autism Speaks/autismspeaks.org: Dedicated to changing the future for all who struggle with autism spectrum disorders.
* Board of Overseers Member – The Keck School of Medicine at University of Southern Californiausc.edu/schools/medicine/index.html: Commitment to collaborative interdisciplinary research and rapid translation of scientific findings from the lab bench to the patient’s bedside.
* Trustee – The Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association (GLAZA)/lazoo.org/glaza: Support for the Los Angeles Zoo in its mission to nurture wildlife and enrich the human experience.
* Spokesperson – Target’s Dream In Color campaign/target.com: Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and diversity.
* Spokesperson – Skecher’s Nothing Compares to Family campaign/skechers.com: Celebrating family and benefiting charities which help to support families.
* Spokesperson – Toys “R” Us “Toys for Differently-Abled Kids” campaign/toysrus.com: The annual guide features selected toys that aid in the development of children with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
As the premier beauty competition in North America, NAHA not only celebrates the best of the best in the professional beauty industry, but is also a perfect venue for recognizing key people who have contributed substantially to the industry and to society as a whole. The NAHA 2010 ceremony will take place Sunday, July 18, and will kick off with a Red Carpet Reception at 6:30pm, followed by a star-studded Awards Ceremony at 8:00pm. Visit probeauty.org/naha for more information and to purchase tickets. For information on Holly Robinson Peete visit hollyrod.org.