Only a little more than a year has passed since nine lives were taken in a salon massacre in Seal Beach, CA, and the beauty community is once again mourning similar tragedies in Milwaukee, WI, killing three, and Casselberry, FL, also killing three. Domestic violence was the root cause in all three tragedies.
On average, more than three women and one man are murdered by their intimate partners in this country every day.*
While the entire industry mourns, beauty professionals across the U.S. are rallying in support of CUT IT OUT to make sure this type of tragedy never happens again. The Professional Beauty Association’s (PBA) CUT IT OUT program is dedicated to mobilizing salon professionals and others to fight the epidemic of domestic abuse in communities across the U.S. through building awareness and training salon professionals to recognize warning signs and safely refer clients and fellow colleagues to local resources.
Salon professionals, in particular, have the extraordinary opportunity to give hope and help to clients and co-workers who are in abusive relationships.
Nearly three out of four (74%) of Americans personally know someone who is or has been a victim of domestic violence.*
What you can do:
- Go to cutitout.org. Sign the online pledge form and select the complimentary CUT IT OUT materials for your salon, spa or school.
- Display the CUT IT OUT materials at your salon/spa’s front desk, individual stations, break rooms and the restroom. Materials are discreet and can be easily hidden, are available in English and Spanish and have a toll free number where victims can call to get help, regardless of their location.
- Schedule a one-hour CUT IT OUT training for your salon, spa or school. Visit www.cutitout.org/training.html for additional information.
- Promote the importance of domestic violence awareness and the CUT IT OUT program through your social media channels.
Attention Wisconsin Salons & Professionals!
More than 70 salons across Wisconsin are exemplifying action by pulling resources to help raise awareness on November 13, 2012, with a “CUT IT OUT Day”. Participating business are donating 5% up to 25% of the days sales to support the families of the Milwaukee victims.
How to Participate:
- Host a CUT IT OUT Day at your salon, spa or business on Tuesday, November 13, 2012, and donate 5% to 25% of the day’s sales.
- Donations can be made at any Associated Bank branch or mailed to: Associated Bank, 1 N. Moorland Road, Brookfield, WI 53005.
- Donations are also accepted through CUT IT OUT and can be mailed to: PBA, 15825 N. 71st Street, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ 85254.
- Make or buy purple ribbons and place them at your front desk and ask for a $5 donation for the “Azana Victims Fund.” (Ready-made ribbons/bracelets can be purchased at www.fundraisingforacause.com or visit your local fabric store and make your own.)
- Get the word out about the fundraiser through your social networks and by sending a press release to your local press.
To get involved in the fundraiser, contact Jan Seybold of Carenza Color. Cutting. Experience at 262.827.1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Statistics from the Domestic Violence Resource Center, dvrc-or.org.