The ISSE ‘Total Beauty Event’ Brings Best of Beauty to Southern California
Event Photos and Additional Information: www.probeauty.org/isselb (select PRESS page)
Phoenix, AZ (January 31, 2014) – Produced by the Professional Beauty Association (PBA), the 2014 International Salon and Spa Expo Long Beach (ISSE Long Beach) continues to be the West Coast’s largest and most influential total beauty event. An energetic crowd of nearly 40,000 beauty professionals from around the world attended the show. PBA’s ISSE concept has evolved beyond the traditional “hair show” to be the industry’s most complete beauty event for professional hair, nails, cosmetics, esthetics, wellness, massage and advanced education.
ISSE Long Beach is known for its diverse exhibitor base, and 2014 was no exception. Known as the launch pad for new beauty products and services, ISSE Long Beach 2014 featured a sold-out expo floor, welcoming more than 350 leading beauty brands. Ranging from international beauty leaders to indie trendsetters, exhibiting brands included CAILYN Cosmetics, Conair, Glycelene, Moroccanoil, OPI Products Inc., Vidal Sassoon, and Zotos International. ISSE was also excited to welcome first-time exhibitor Aveda to the show floor this year, which also marked the return of the company to any expo floor in multiple years. On-site sales and reservations for 2015 exhibit space exceeded expectations as brands appreciated the professional caliber of the show and did not want to miss out on space in 2015.
PBA streamlined the check-in process this year, expediting the process and improving the attendee’s experience. New and improved attendee check-in processes, including online ticket activation and a PBA member only check-in line, sped up the entry process and eliminated long lines and wait times. Regular posts on social media platforms also helped guide and direct attendees to the correct check-in and credential check locations. These improvements helped get attendees onto the show floor promptly and efficiently each day.
ISSE Long Beach also featured more than 150 complimentary education sessions. Spanning all three days of the show, classes covered all aspects of hair, nails, makeup, skincare and wellness. Educators included Allen Ruiz, Berry Bachen and DJ Riggs, Major League Barbers, Enzo Milano, and OPI.
ISSE Long Beach 2014 Show Highlights
Expansion of EstheticsAmerica & Wellness: ISSE Long Beach 2014 saw the continued expansion of its increasingly popular EstheticsAmerica & Wellness Pavilion, which provides a dedicated environment for skin care, cosmetics, massage, wellness, and the latest in treatments and education for these rapidly expanding segments of the beauty industry. CIDESCO Section USA education was again offered in 2014 and continues to be a desirable option for many esthetic professionals looking to continue their education. PBA aims to continue the growth of the Pavilion for the 2015 show with even more esthetic brands and classes.
PBA Beauty Bar: PBA introduced the PBA Beauty Bar as part of the 2014 show. This new program allowed ISSE attendees to hand-select five deluxe product samples from select ISSE exhibitors in exchange for a donation to the PBA Disaster Relief Fund. PBA Beauty Bar participating exhibitors included Aveda, OPI, Orly, Repêchage, Rusk and PBA. In its debut year, this new beauty initiative raised approximately $4,000 for the PBA Disaster Relief Fund, which was founded in 1955 to provide financial support to salon professionals following the devastation of a natural disaster. Monies allocated through the Fund are intended to help professionals meet immediate financial needs, such as purchasing food and clothing and paying bills. The PBA Beauty Bar is PBA’s newest charitable program in its continued effort to give back to the professional beauty industry.
Emphasis on Scholarships: Beauty education also benefited from generous donations at this year’s show. PBA’s Sally Beauty Scholarship Fund received a $10,000 check presented by Jan Roberts, director of corporate communications for Sally Beauty. Sally Beauty continues to be a long-time supporter of industry education and their contributions are greatly appreciated.
The 2013 Minerva Beauty Cosmetology Scholarship winners were also honored at this year’s show. Earlier last year, Minerva Beauty awarded five $1,000 scholarships to students currently enrolled in an accredited cosmetology program. These winners were also honored at the scholarship presentation by Bob Maconi, VP of Enterprise Sales from Millennium Software, on behalf of Minerva Beauty.
New Barber Brawl Competitions: In addition to the returning ISSE Hairstyling Competitions, PBA and ISSE were proud to host for the first time Major League Barber’s Hot Hands Barber Brawl competitions. ISSE Long Beach competitions kicked off with the Barber Brawl on Sunday, January 26, 2014. Competitors registered for categories, including Original Tag Team – Design and Color; Conservative – Basic Haircut; Fastest Barber in the World – Bald Fade; and, Shear Crazy – No Machines, Just Shears. Winners received an array of tools and products to enhance their barbering career. For a complete list of winners, please visit https://probeauty.org/competitions/isselb/.
ISSE Hairstyling Competitions Were A Success: Continuing the success from 2013, ISSE Long Beach brought back its Hairstyling Competitions in 2014. Open to students and licensed professionals, the hair competitions allowed individuals to show off their skills and win cash and career prestige. While honors were given to the top seven in each category, winners included:
- Ladies Trend Cut, Color and Style – Pro: Nicole Coley (first) | John Marcel Lopez (second) | Norihisa Kimura (third)
- Ladies Trend Cut, Color and Style – Student: Donna Spencer (first) | Kathleen Ilich(second) | Toru Fujisaki (third)
- Long Hair Bridal – Pro: Oxana Ksenia Kim (first) | John Marcel Lopez (second) | Lorena Morel (third)
- Long Hair Bridal – Student: Tashima Brooks (first place) | Lauren Kunish (second place) | Rebecca Vadina (third place)
- Fantasy – Inspired by Hollywood – Pro: Letty Balderas (first place) | Felton Anderson (second place) | Norihisa Kimura (third place)
- Fantasy – Inspired by Hollywood – Student: Daniel Chamu (first place) | Henadzi Harbanik (second place) | Linda Alanzo (third place)
Nail Competitions Bring Out New and Seasoned Entrants: The NailPro Nail Competitions, sponsored by NailPro Magazine, featured an array of new and seasoned entrants. Winners were awarded cash and prizes depending on placements. Winners include:
- Hand Painted Nail Art | Theme: Trouble Lurking | Category: Novice – Akie Arai (first) | Sato Hashimoto (second) | Tomoka Dei (third)
- Hand Painted Nail Art | Theme: Trouble Lurking | Category: Veteran – Ada But (first) | Galina Yammitsky (second) | Marina Lopresto (third)
- Mixed Media Nail Art | Theme: Window Shopping | Category: Novice – Tomoka Dei (first) | Alecia Mouninay (second) | Hiromi Sogawa (third)
- Mixed Media Nail Art |Theme: Window Shopping | Category: Veteran – Marina Lopresto (first) | Allison Baker (second) | Sayoko Ogata (third)
- Fantasy Nail Art | Theme: Zombies | Category: Novice – Tomoka Dei (first) | Alecia Mouninay (second) | Sandy Combs (third)
- Fantasy Nail Art | Theme: Zombies | Category: Veteran – Marina Lopresto (first) | Allison Baker (second)
- French Twist – One Hand | Category: Novice – Hiromi Sogawa (first) | Kazumi Suzymura (second) | Chie Kashima (third)
- French Twist – One Hand | Category: Veteran – Marina Lopresto (first) | Azumi Kanene (second) | Allison Baker (third)
- Salon Success | Category: Novice – Kumi Miyashita (first) | Ikue Oguri (second) | Mai Koga (third)
- Salon Success | Category: Veteran – Mayumi Hase (first) | Azumi Kanene (second) | Emese Koppanyi (third)
- Inspired Artistic Genius | Category: Non-Divisional – Marina Lopresto (first) | Guin Deadman (second) | Amanda Lenher (third)
- It’s All About the Bling | Category: Non-Divisional – Marina Lopresto (first) | Christian Mans (second) | Guin Deadman (third)
- Soak-Off Gel Manicure | Category: Non-Divisional – Marina Lopresto (first) | Yoshiyuki Nakanishi (second) | Trina Not (third)
- Perfect Match | Category: 3-in-1 Competitions – Azumi Kanene (first) | Emese Koppanyi (second) | Mayumi Hase (third)
- Sculpted Nails | Category: 3-in-1 Competitions – Emese Koppanyi (first) | Azumi Kanene (second) | Mayumi Hase (third)
- Tip & Overlay | Category: 3-in-1 Competitions – Emese Koppanyi (first) | Azumi Kanene (second) | Mayumi Hase (third)
NAHA Stage Experiences Capacity Crowds: The North American Hairstyling Awards (NAHA) continues to be the industry’s premier photographic hairstyling competition and awards ceremony. The NAHA Stage featured past NAHA winners and multi-category finalists in an intimate setting where attendees learned up close and personal from some of the industry’s biggest stars on how to take a winning NAHA collection from concept through submission. Presenters included Faatemah Ampey, Steve Elias and Maryl Velbeck. Due to overwhelming demand, every NAHA Stage presentation was at or near full capacity.
Awards for Top Booths Spark Competition: Many companies launched new and/or expanded booths at the 2014 show. From layout and signage updates to complete makeovers, firms invested in their image. Launched in 2011, ISSE Long Beach awards top honors for winners in each category. Booths were judged by industry and non-industry peers on corporate branding, product presentation, exhibit personnel and booth design. Winning booths at ISSE Long Beach 2014 include:
- Best Island/Peninsula Booth: Neuma (first place) | Herbalosophy (second place) | Earthly Body/Marrakesh (third place)
- Best Island Booth: Aveda (first place) | Brazilian Blowout (second place) | Moroccanoil (third place)
- Best Linear Booth: CAILYN Cosmetics (first place) | It Factor (second place) | Pedi Princess (third place)
Night Out Party: PBA’s annual Night Out Party, exclusively for ISSE Long Beach attendees and exhibitors, was a huge success this year. Show attendees packed Sevilla Nightclub in Long Beach on Sunday night to celebrate the latest and greatest in beauty. Beauty professionals enjoyed light-up cocktails, mingled with fellow beauty enthusiasts and danced the night away as part of the festivities.
Next year’s International Salon & Spa Expo will take place January 24-26, 2015 at the Long Beach Convention Center. ISSE Long Beach is open to licensed salon/spa professionals, cosmetology students and instructors only. To maintain a professional atmosphere, attendees must present proof of license and a valid photo ID. For additional information and photos from ISSE Long Beach and updates on next year’s show, please visit probeauty.org/isse.