Set yourself apart from your peers with a standout resume!
By highlighting your academic and professional experiences, and relevant skills for a job, you can show potential employers just how dedicated you are to your profession and future job opportunities.
All resumes contain a few key pieces of information, including:
- Contact information: add your name, email, phone number, and handles of social media portfolios. Be sure to use your full first and last name, not a silly nickname! Imagine that you’re viewing this information as an employer. Show that you’re able to present yourself as a professional.
- Summary of professional goals: Narrow down your professional goal in one or two sentences. This will help employers see where you can be a good fit in the company!
- Education history: Include the schools and programs you attended, in chronological order. You can also share your achievements, awards, and a summary of what you learned. Extracurriculars? Add those too! Hiring managers will want to see how you involved yourself in your school communities.
- Professional experience: Consider how your past work experiences fit in with the job you’re applying for! Do you have experience with customer service at a restaurant? That could help you work the desk at a salon! Or, if you had a summer internship assisting in an office, that could help you become a styling assistant. If you haven’t had a job yet, that’s OK! Share your strengths, skills and interests, like volunteering in your community or creative projects.
- Other recommendations: Have you participated in special programs in school, like study abroad or special competitions? Also, consider adding your school attendance records, sales or rebooking information to show your amazing track record!
To add a personal touch to your resume, look at a variety of fonts, colors, images and icons. Because you’re in the beauty industry, you have some creative freedom!
Before sending your resume to employers or uploading to online job applications, ALWAYS proofread your document to make sure there are no typos and that everything written makes sense! Check out some of these formatting examples for ideas of resume layouts:
Beacon applications open August 12th! Learn more about the Beacon entry requirements.