California’s Safer Consumer Products (SCP) Program has taken effect and has wide-reaching implications for the beauty industry. Originating with manufacturers, this legislation requires that certain chemicals be identified, reported, evaluated and analyzed for alternatives. Professionals who create these products and those who sell them must understand their obligations under this law. The Professional Beauty Association has partnered with the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) to bring you a web event that will explain this new program; including the goals, milestones and regulatory responses your business must comply with. André Algazi, Senior Environmental Scientist for the DTSC will guide you through the following topics:
· The Candidate Chemicals list and how it was developed;
· The requirements that will apply to a manufacturer or responsible entity whose product is designated as a
Priority Product with a Chemical of Concern;
· The Alternatives Analysis process;
· How Regulatory Responses will be identified and implemented; and
· Proactive steps a manufacturer can take as the regulations are implemented.
The Professional Beauty Association’s Education and Government Affairs teams have identified this topic as critical for the advancement of our industry as it is timely and representative of future legislative trends.