(From left to right: 2014 Finalist Ludovic Leroy, 2013 Winner Matt Swinney, 2012 Winner Nicholas French, 2011 Finalist Kris Sorbie)
Submit visionary work demonstrating new or experimental concepts in expressive, cutting-edge hair. Entries should reflect good taste and aesthetically pleasing images. This is NOT a fantasy category, rather a display of fashion forward, unique, and edgy styles.
Fantasy is defined as extravagant and unrestrained imagination, wondrous or strange. Avant Garde represents a pushing of the boundaries of what is accepted as the norm and refers to works that are experimental or innovative.
- Expressive, cutting-edge hair that pushes the boundaries of the norm
- NOT a fantasy category
- Showcase new and experimental concepts or techniques
- Styling hair into objects is NOT the goal of the Avant Garde category
- Three Final Images (no larger than 8MBs each)
- Three Unedited Images (no larger than 8MBs each)
- All images must be in JPEG (.jpg) format
- Resolution of at least 300DPI (CMPI not accepted)
- No smaller than 8 x 10
- Signed NAHA Photo Release Form
- One-Three Models Used
- Designed for more innovative and creative entries
- Images should still be beautiful and ahead of the curve
- Styling hair into objects is NOT the goal
- Wigs, extensions, and other artificial hairpieces are acceptable to use
- Overuse of props and accessories take focus away from the hair
- Avoid full body shots unless relevant to your theme and artistic direction
- Do not use Photoshop or similar software/programs to fill in or create hair in the final images
- Do not use Photoshop or similar software/programs to cut the hair
- Hair should be styled exactly as desired before the photo is taken
- This category is the ultimate forum for creative expression.
- Focus on a soaring story line.
- Think of unusual textures or fabrics not normally associated with hair.
- This category truly represents art.
Click here to view Photographer Tips